Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Male victim of domestic violence on a bike campaign  (Read 665 times)

• View Profile
Male victim of domestic violence on a bike campaign
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »

Male victim of domestic violence on a bike campaign

CHENNAI: Ameen Shareeff is a man on a mission. The 30-year-old Visakhapatnam resident has been driving his Royal Enfield across the country to spread awareness about male victims of domestic violence. Having opened up about his own personal travails, Shareeff is now determined to get more men to break their silence.

Shareeff, who runs a Facebook page, 'Speak Out Mard', started off from his hometown on January 24. Clad in a bright orange T shirt, a blue bandana around his head, Shareeff, who reached Chennai on Wednesday evening, spent a day in the city, hoping to speak to people about the woes of male victims of domestic violence.

"I didn't even open up to my siblings about what I was going through in my marriage. I was afraid that if I told people, they would laugh at me as usually people do not think a man can suffer physical and verbal abuse and violence in a marriage," says Shareeff, adding that when he decided to voice his problems, he did find help and support, from his siblings and others.

According to Shareeff, his marriage ran into trouble just three months after tying the knot. "I had to cut off from my family, I couldn't sleep even for three hours a night due to the continuous fighting and even suffered physical abuse," claims Shareeff, who has been separated from his wife since September 2016 and longs to see his three-year-old daughter. "I even contemplated suicide but then thought of my daughter and her future. She is my only hope in life."

So he quit his job, gave up the apartment he lived in and decided to hit the road to spread awareness and reach out to people. "I came across people who I thought were doing good but realised they were in similar situations," he says. Shareeff will head to Puducherry on Friday, and plans to travel to places like Rameswaram, Kanyakumari and later Kerala, before winding up his journey in mid-May.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Male victim of domestic violence on a bike campaign
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »

I never heard the term "white-knighting" before I came to this forum. Are "white-knights" emasculated men who are subservient to women?

Almost True
Pages: [1]   Go Up